When it comes to photography, I must say the question that I’ve been asked for many times may be: “Which is the best budget camera for filmmaking?”
Who doesn’t want a good, high quality camera; however, its price is also a critical factor to consider.
Therefore, before decided to buy a camera, you have to determine your target budget range. If you are plentiful, then go with the one equipped with more advanced features; otherwise, just choose the one delivering relatively beautiful image quality.
Are you looking for something affordable?
Nowadays, many indie filmmakers have a huge need for an on-a-budget camera which can operate easily in run and gun environments without drawing too much attention.
As many people sharing the similar need, I’ve decided to come with a list of my top 3 budget cameras for shooting films.
What Camera Should I Buy for Filmmaking?
1. Black Magic Pocket Camera
What is a good camera to use for Youtube videos?
Firstly, let’s have a look at Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera, a budget 4K RAW camera for filmmaking by far!
Who says an old camera cannot make it on this list?
This product was released 4 years ago; however, it still gives off a relevant feeling. If you are a guerrilla filmmaker, then Black Magic Pocket Camera is your ultimate choice.
Of course the spotlight for this Black Magic camera is not as intense as in the past because of the appearance of URSA Mini 4.6K and Micro Cinema Camera. Yet, the Pocket version is still able to draw some users’ interest thanks to its unique advantages.
- Absolutely incredible image quality
- Affordable price (under $1,000)
- A super 16mm sized sensor is ideal for single operator
- Less depth of field with fast, long lenses
- The biggest drawback is the limited battery life
The video below is the experiment with Black Magic Pocket Camera…check now:
2. Lumix GH5
Which camera is best for making short films?
If I have to choose, then my choice will be Lumix GH5, one of the most popular mirrorless cameras.
It is the combination of rich, versatile functions, low budget, and gorgeous image quality. All of these factors have successfully made it a strong consideration of many filmmakers. Featuring the internal stabilization, Lumix GH5 is an ideal camera for guerrilla shoots.
- The 5-axis stabilization system assures to stabilize your image in-camera without using non-IS lenses
- The color provides maximum versatility under run and gun scenarios
- Often paired with Metabones Speed Booster for shallow depth of field and solid low light performance
- With the mirrorless mount and smallish sensor, the GH5 is highly adaptable to many different lenses
As a small DSLR-styled camera, Lumix GH5 is capable to blend well in any shoot under any environment.
Watch to know how to set up the Panasonic GH5 for filmmaking:
3. Sony PXW-FS5
Which DSLR is best for filmmaking?
Sony understands very well the importance of versatility in today’s filmmaking landscape. With this ideology, they come with the FS7 and A7 line which are clearly favored on the market.
Nonetheless, in my opinion, I still prefer the FS5 – the overlooked camera – as it’s perfect for guerrilla shooting the most.
- Easy to shoot ergonomically, change settings, control the camera movement
- Designed to shoot and record for a long period of time without a rig
- Smaller than Sony FS7 yet including the same features
- No requirement of any accessory
- The large sensor gives off a traditional 35mm cimatic look
Lightweight and durable, FS5 is an excellent alternative of FS7.
Discover the features & specs of Sony FS5 with the following video:
In general, all three cameras here have one point in common: appropriate with your budget, though they may have different features and specs.
Before purchasing a tool for your filmmaking job, it’s a must to do the research with multiple cameras to see which one can deliver the best image quality in any given situation. If you love to record stuff like guerrilla materials, then the 3 picks above surely satisfies your needs.
What are your thoughts about this article? Do you agree with my top 3 choices?
Let me know whether you share the same thoughts in the comments!
For more content like this, be sure to visit me on alyciaalvarezphotography.com!